[Freeciv-Dev] bug or feature: city descriptions aren't always drawn

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] bug or feature: city descriptions aren't always drawn
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:22:46 -0500

The code to draw city descriptions loops over the visible map canvas, and for every city present it will draw the desription for the city. (At least, this is done for GTK and XAW. I assume the others are the same.)

The problem is that (in flat view) a city that is one tile off of the top of the screen would have its description drawn at the top of the screen. The current code does not draw that description. Similarly some cities one tile to the left/right of the visible mapcanvas may not have their descriptions fully drawn.

Things work similarly with isometric view.

Assuming that the city description sits one tile below the city and spans up to three tiles, this is easy to fix: just increase the bounding box of tiles to draw by one unit upwards and to the left and right.

For isometric view, the math is a little harder but the solution is the same.

But, it occurred to me that this might be considered a "feature" by some. If you can't see a city, perhaps the city description would only confuse you. I wholeheartedly disagree with this concept, but it could be the reasoning behind the current setup.

Thoughts?

jason