[Freeciv-Dev] Andreas Kemnade's New Windows Startup Dialog

To: Todd Goodman <tgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Andreas Kemnade's New Windows Startup Dialog
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:12:03 +0100

Todd Goodman writes:

 > The popup dialogs (messages, cities, server control, etc.) will not go
 > back in Z-order behind the main window.  I assume that's the usual
 > Windows yuckiness with the owner being forced behind dialogs it pops up,
 > but it's annoying (since I like to keep the messages partially covered
 > when playing on my laptop and only bring it foreward when I need to look
 > closer at it).
Fixed. That was only I quite simple change in gui_stuff.c

 > There's sometimes a problem returning focus to the main window when the
 > dialog is closed.  It works sometimes but not others.  I usually notice
 > it when dismissing a city display, but sometimes with other dialogs.
Every window sets focus to its parent now when it is destroyed.
That should fix the problem.

 > It doesn't always center the map on the current active unit.  This
 > seemed to happen most frequently with my explorer (I didn't play that
 > long).  If I pressed 'C' then it would center correctly.
I have not noticed that problem yet. I don't know how to fix it yet.

 > Having said that, I'm going to continue to play the Windows GTK version
 > since I find this native version much less visually appealing (and the
 > interface more difficult to use).  I've never experienced the slowdown
 > others have (but I play against the AI usually so the games don't last
 > that long, nor do they have incredible number of cities or units).
Having a computer which is not totally up to date and a full screen of
known tiles is enough to slow down the gtk client.

What's more difficult to use?
I could use groupboxes (like gtk frames) in the dialogs to make them
look nicer. But I have to know
1. how to calculate the total size of such a box from the size of its
   contents
2. how to calculate the position where to place the contents of those
   groupboxes (how big the border is)

I have not found the time yet to work on such details. But now the
only dialog which is missing is the cma dialog, so after that I really
should work on such things.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade