[Freeciv-Dev] Andreas Kemnade's New Windows Startup Dialog

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Andreas Kemnade's New Windows Startup Dialog
From: Todd Goodman <tgoodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 07:29:03 -0500

Hi,

I wanted to mention that I ran the second Windows binary for the startup
dialog on both Windows 2000 and XP.  It ran fine on both.

It's very good and will definately make it much easier for new players
to begin to play.

I had a couple comments though.

The popup dialogs (messages, cities, server control, etc.) will not go
back in Z-order behind the main window.  I assume that's the usual
Windows yuckiness with the owner being forced behind dialogs it pops up,
but it's annoying (since I like to keep the messages partially covered
when playing on my laptop and only bring it foreward when I need to look
closer at it).

There's sometimes a problem returning focus to the main window when the
dialog is closed.  It works sometimes but not others.  I usually notice
it when dismissing a city display, but sometimes with other dialogs.

It doesn't always center the map on the current active unit.  This
seemed to happen most frequently with my explorer (I didn't play that
long).  If I pressed 'C' then it would center correctly.

This is a very good effort and I really appreciate the work that Andreas
has been doing.

Having said that, I'm going to continue to play the Windows GTK version
since I find this native version much less visually appealing (and the
interface more difficult to use).  I've never experienced the slowdown
others have (but I play against the AI usually so the games don't last
that long, nor do they have incredible number of cities or units).

Good work Andreas!

Thank you,

Todd