Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] [patch rfd] teams

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [patch rfd] teams
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 02:06:28 +0100 (MET)

This patch applies on top of the previously posted ruleset loading patch.
It enables a special team mode, if you have teams defined in
"nations.ruleset". I've included a sample "nations.ruleset" with teams in
the data/teams directory, which also showcases the new ruleset loading
code.

Start the team mode

        $ server/civserver --config teams

create a few AIs and join yourself, and notice how every player that joins
is spread across the available teams

        > list
        List of players:
        a (AI, difficulty level easy, team Freshmeat)
        b (AI, difficulty level easy, team Slashdot)
        c (AI, difficulty level easy, team Freshmeat)
        perrin (Human, team Slashdot) 1 connection:
          perrin from jedi (command access level info), bufsize=40kb
        d (AI, difficulty level easy, team Freshmeat)

you can change the teams using the "team <player> <team>" command. Then
"start" and notice that you are now allied and with shared vision with
those that you are on the same team as. Yes, now you can ally AIs! It
works, kind of, as you would expect, but I guess the AI is really
seriously confused deep underneath, so this might not be a good idea
before the AI learns a bit more about diplomacy.

You can also set team specific initial technologies like this

        [team_*]
        init_techs = ""

and nation choices can be restricted like this

        [team_*]
        nations = "romans", "germans", "vikings"

which, at least for the gtk client, seriously reduces the size of the
nation selection dialog, as you only see the ones you can pick. There is
no rule saying you cannot allow any team to pick any nation, though, just
list all nations in "nations =" for each team.

The data/teams/nations.ruleset file contains only a handful of nations and
is quite unfinished, however. I haven't given this one much thought (the
teams stuff is mainly meant for my own modpack in the making), so ideas on
how to make a good teams nations.ruleset are much welcome.

Yours,
Per

"What we anticipate seldom occurs: but what we least expect generally
happens." -- Benjamin Disraeli