Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 vs freeciv topologies question

To: James Christensen <jmlchristensen@xxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 vs freeciv topologies question
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 04:45:30 -0500

James Christensen wrote:
For the last few days, I've been working on some perl
classes to read a civ2 scenario (actually savegame and
misc files in scenario directory rather than *.scn)
and write it out as a freeciv mod directory including
savegame. I figure that something like this would
encourage those unhappy with Civ3 or tired of civ2's
limitations to come over to freeciv.

Most of it has proven straight forward and last
night,as a test, I produced a freeciv map from a civ2
savegame (only terrain) only to see that the map
encodings are incompatible (which I knew but had
forgotten). Any ideas how to get around this to
produce a useable map somewhat close to what the
designer intended? A long-time lurker here, I admit
that I haven't followed the topology discussions as
closely as I should/could have. Any new topology
tricks? If there's nothing to be done, then I'm afraid there's
not much point in continuing.

I assume you mean that the CivII map is "isometric":

X X X X X
 X X X X
X X X X X
 X X X X
X X X X X

while FreeCiv supports only "flat" maps:

XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

there are two patches available that will allow FreeCiv to use isometric maps; at some point in the (nebulous) future this functionality will be folded into freeciv and either type of map will be usable.

In the meantime, you're pretty much out of luck. You can try to fit the civII map into the freeciv one, but it won't work very well.

jason