Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 vs freeciv topologies question

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ2 vs freeciv topologies question
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:07:39 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 07:58:13AM -0800, James Christensen wrote:

> For the last few days, I've been working on some perl
> classes to read a civ2 scenario (actually savegame and
> misc files in scenario directory rather than *.scn)
> and write it out as a freeciv mod directory including
> savegame. I figure that something like this would
> encourage those unhappy with Civ3 or tired of civ2's
> limitations to come over to freeciv.

This is very nice.  David Pfitzner also has some Perl scripts
to manipulate Freeciv data on his site.  It would be nice to
have a common Freeciv library.

> night,as a test, I produced a freeciv map from a civ2
> savegame (only terrain) only to see that the map
> encodings are incompatible (which I knew but had
> forgotten). Any ideas how to get around this to
> produce a useable map somewhat close to what the
> designer intended?

I suppose this is a question for Mike, the civworld maintainer.

> A long-time lurker here, I admit
> that I haven't followed the topology discussions as
> closely as I should/could have. Any new topology
> tricks?

The plan is to support optional wraparound in both orientations.

> If there's nothing to be done, then I'm afraid there's
> not much point in continuing.

I don't understand the problem, except that Civ II appears to
support some notion of 'plan' in its scenarios, while Freeciv
only supports maps, that is, saved game states, as far as I know.

--
Reinier