Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug in mapgen (PR#1043)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: bug in mapgen (PR#1043)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:03:07 +0100

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:16:09PM -0800, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> ½²«íµØ wrote:
> >
> > With reference to
> > http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200101/msg00701.html,
> > the problem is rand_map_pos() gives random spots in all
> > the regions A, B, C, and D.
> > If you chop off s and e, (s will never overflow since you can't place
> > island there) the area will be left as grassland (I think).
>
> Yeah, chopping off s and e looks like it will work but probably isn't
> the ideal solution.  That would effectively prevent islands from
> wrapping, which someone says might be intentional in the thread you
> reference.
>
> The current situation does wrap, I think.  If an island flows off the
> edge of the screen the data just overflows.  This effectively wraps the
> X value while increasing the Y value by 1.  But, I haven't looked at
> this too deeply so I could be wrong.
>
> jason

Whether or not this is related I don't know, but with current CVS
playing with a view larger than the map width is really confusing.
It used to be better, although the map was never kept fully up to date
in all places.  If there is any code to address this it would be nice
to see it in the next release ...

--
Reinier