[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Calendars (Re: Re: A bunch of patches)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Calendars (Re: Re: A bunch of patches)
From: "andi payn" <paynfc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:59:34 +0000

I concentrated on making the code easy to write and understand, and the modset format easy to use for the simple, obvious cases. As it turns out, the "more complicated" version (the second one I proposed) was much easier to code, and is much easier to use as a modpack writer. Plus, it's more efficient (date math is trivial).

The fact that it also allows a ridiculous amount of flexibility isn't something I intended (I was surprised that I was able to write a lunar calendar with full leapmonths, for example), but I don't think that makes it a worse solution.

Anyway, the basic calendar patch (without months and days) should be in the bugtracking system now; the subyear patch will be another day or two. I'm not going to bother with the alternate "simpler" daily patch, because it's less simple and less efficient as well as less powerful.