[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Calendars (Re: Re: A bunch of patches)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Calendars (Re: Re: A bunch of patches)
From: "andi payn" <paynfc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 02:55:53 +0000

Jason Short:
If we say that a bomber can fly around the world in 6 turns which may be
either 6 or 60 years depending on the current age, then it should be
reasonable to say that the spaceship will take 28 turns in flight, which
may be either 28 years or 28 days.

Hmm.... I don't like it, but it seems to be the best solution possible. How about this:

Instead of the last spaceship tech getting us to the last calendar, it gets us to the first calendar whose rate of time is one year/turn or less. Spaceship travel time, then, is in turns, rather than years.

If we don't allow for this inaccurate scaling of time, then we need a redesign of the entire FreeCiv system.

That was exactly why I didn't expect an answer....

In real life, a bomber would
move about 100x faster than a group of horsemen, not 6x.  And a bomber
would be able to fly around the world something like 10,000 times (just
a guess) in the time it took a spaceship to reach the nearest star.

Exactly. And the only way to make this playable would be to have that be 30 turns, and have the bomber make 300 separate attacks/turn (which would have to be automated).

A realistic system can't be made workable within the FreeCiv rules, so we have to just extend the FreeCiv system to handle everything new (like space travel with subyear calendars). And I think your solution is the best one possible.