[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Technical questions (numbered tile markers )

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Technical questions (numbered tile markers )
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:44:34 -0800

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 03:09:51PM -0500, Jason Short wrote:
> Teemu Kurppa wrote:
>
> > I came up with some questions, when I was implementing a patch for
> > numbered tile markers.
> >
> > 1. GTK key events
> > Numbered tile markers can be used to mark important locations (among
> > other things) on the map and then jump between them. Obviously, number
> > keys are good candidates for shortcut keys to markers 1-10. I chose
> > shift+<num> to set a marker and ctrl+<num> to jump to a marker.
> >
> > However, it seems that I can't implement this kind of behavior in truly
> > portable way. Xserver and thus GTK work in somewhat irritating way, when
> > producing key events. For example, if I press shift+8 (or ctrl+8), GTK
> > doesn't produce key event for a key code GDK_8 with SHIFT_MASK
> > set. Instead it produces a key event for a key code GDK_parenleft or
> > something else, if your keymap has been modified (xmodmap -pke tells
> > what).
> >
> > Does anyone know a good solution to this problem ? If not, we have to
> > implement keyboard shortcuts for some particular keymap, and inform
> > players how to change their keymaps, if they differ.
>
> One workaround would be to use different keys.  What about F<num> to
> jump to and ctrl-F<num> to set?

F# are used for reports.

And as Teemu Kurppa pointed out, most of us have most of the function
keys+modifiers mapped to stuff.  Mine are for the window manager.  I like
the idea of using numbers, but I wasn't able to use the shift+number to
work correctly.  How about the meta/alt key?

Btw, I think this is a very cool patch.

--
Paul Zastoupil