[Freeciv-Dev] Re: A bunch of patches

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: A bunch of patches
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 09:56:09 -0500

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, andi payn wrote:

[calendar]
Tony:

Sub-year advancement should also be possible here.

On my local tree, I have this, but it displays like "Year: 1944.25,"
which clearly sucks. The question is, how should it work? Should we
just assume Gregorian calendaring? Or should we come up with something
flexible? If so, how flexible? Real-world flexibility would be a
nightmare (imagine each player changing from a nation-specific
"native" calendar to Gregorian at different times; imagine handling
lunar calendars with cycles that don't match the year; imagine
handling early calendars like the pre-Julian Roman system or the
pre-reform Hebrew calendar; etc.).

I can't imagine a modpack writer would actually want to use
nation-specific calendars, or lunar calendars for that matter. (But I
might be wrong.) I think it would suffice to determine a starting year and
an array list of "months". The year has as many months as found in this
array, and each month is by default equal to one turn.

What a modpack writer would want, though, is some flexibility in setting the number of intervals per year. I would think 4, 12, and 365.24 would probably be enough.

It's always possible for translators to manipulate things; for instance the 12 months could be translated into some other 12-unit system. You'd still be restricted to the given intervals, though.

A more general solution might allow the modpack to specify the number of intervals and give them names. This would allow, for instance, a Tolkien modpack to use the Tolkien calendar. But it would make it difficult to hard-code the leap-year, so it's not entirely better.

jason