[Freeciv-Dev] Re: new natural names patch (PR#1127)

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: new natural names patch (PR#1127)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:50:55 -0500

At 01:33 PM 01/12/23 -0800, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Erik Sigra wrote:

In the sense that rulesets are like code, it is probably not a good idea
to use locale dependent features for anything but (uninterpreted) text
data.

Certainly the Latin1 "172" would be an incredibly bad choice as the
primary negation symbol given that there are reasonable choices in the
Posix subset.

Making it optionally recognized if an appropriate locale were in effect
and exit with an appropriate error message if not would be possible
extensions. "Assuming" char(172) was a valid negation without checking
locale would just be bad programming.

Cheers,
RossW
=====