[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Raimar and Dirk's note patch

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Raimar and Dirk's note patch
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:34:20 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 12:10:01PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > No feedback -> no more work. I was more interested at the
> > attributes. And Dirk isn't around anymore.
> > Yes IMO the category system will not work in this way. And you also
> > have to convert all message calls. Note that a similar patch was
> > recently posted here which addressed the issue the note patch was
> > originally trying to solve: i18n of messages. The messages will go
> > untranslated to the client and so the translation depends on the
> > client settings.
> > [Then] resurrect it.
>
> I'm not interested in the i18n of messages, I'm interested in getting
> hooks for sound (as you probably guessed). So I'll have a go at it.

> Will that recent i18n patch conflict with the notes patch (I would
> guess so)?

AFAIK yes.

> Was there something technically wrong with the direction of the
> notes patch, or was it merely a case of loss of interest (ie can it
> be completed, or must it be rewritten)?

As I said I'm unhappy with the category stuff. It isn't needed and
adds unnecessary complexity. You now have to think what ID will be
used. One option is to make i18n and use the untranslated string. Or
you can use an enum. Another solution is to split this and have text
messages (i18n or not) and "play-a-sound" packets.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    -- Arthur C. Clarke