[Freeciv-Dev] Re: C vs C++ vs Java

To: gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gregor Zeitlinger <zeitling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: C vs C++ vs Java
From: Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 11:02:37 -0500

On Sunday 02 December 2001 07:51 am, Gregor Zeitlinger wrote:
> Ok. We've had a long discussion about what language to use.
> I think it's clear that C, C++ or Java are the only viable choices. I
> heard alot of positive Java feedback, which I like. Then some said C is
> the only way to go.
> So what's acutually the point of using C++? I heard the ACE, but the
> licence issue is still pending there and I'd bet there's something for
> Java alike, although I'd have to check.

the license for ACE is BSD-like. you can use it in open source or commercial
apps free of charge, change it, redistribute it, etc.

there's not anything like ACE for java. there was an old attempt to rewrite
ACE for java, but it never really got anywhere.

what's the point of using any language? we want to move to an OO
architecture, so C goes away because writing OO C is *not* very pretty. the
server component needs to perform well, so java goes away. we don't want to
work with a language nobody knows because the learning curve for new
developers sucks. so smalltalk, ada, ocamel, list, et al go away.

C++ is a natural progression towards an OO implementation, and it shouldn't
be too big of a step for C developers. it's viable, it's reasonable, it's
fast.

andy