[Freeciv-Dev] Re: C vs C++ vs Java

To: gregor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: C vs C++ vs Java
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:06:05 +0100

> > > So what I'd be interested in. How many programmer are would be willing to
> > > use which language.
> >
> > For what? You have to specify goals.
> For the decision to use what language for Freeciv 2
Freeciv 2, hmmmmmmm... And goals of Freeciv 2?

> I'd gladly use Java, but not if I'm the only one who'd contribute.
Well, why not join and help another actually existing project aiming to rewrite
freeciv in some other language or eventually fork new one? If it will be good
for the game to be rewritten in another language, it will get users, they will
get another users, they will get developers and freeciv will starve to death in
favour of your new project. If not, then it means Freeciv as is is still good.
It's called concurrency, and many mails were written about this actually.

I personally don't see any meaningful and strong reason (and didn't hear it yet
in the discussion) to switch to another language, it looks we are completely
happy with C (when we manage to clean the sources ;] - but no language will
force you to write readably) and actual design works and there are no
fundamental problems in adding new features (at least not any I'm aware of,
please enlighten me), when there will, there'll be time for redesign, but still
IMHO not time for switch of language we use.

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/