[Freeciv-Dev] Re: C++ (was: curiosity)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: C++ (was: curiosity)
From: Brian Olson <locke@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:02:24 -0800

Which features of C++:
There exists a standard for "Embedded C++" which states which features of C++ can be used without causing size and speed bloat. Some commercial compilers can enforce it, can g++? The villians cut out were Run Time Type Information (RTTI), 'mutable', exceptions, namespaces, templates, multiple/virtual inheritance, most of the STL (kept a few classes as non-template implementations).
http://www.caravan.net/ec2plus/rationale.html

IIRC g++ has flags to turn off RTTI and exceptions, I suppose the rest would be a matter of coder behavior.

And, remember that even in C++, you can still do things the C way! You can still play with printf and structs if they're the right tools for the job.

Aside: As a platform quirk, the Aqua GUI is already using Objective C. Although not fully, just as glue between common client code and all things Mac. Objective C is a fine language, but I'm not sure enough of it to recommend it for new major development.

[insert clever signoff here]
Brian Olson http://bolson.org/