[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI cleanup - first wave

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI cleanup - first wave
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 00:21:01 +0100

> Ugh.  I'm in favor of such a move (though I can certainly see its
> drawbacks), but such discussions always result in much time spent and no
> changes being made.  The question, really, is: is more time going to be
> wasted figuring out code that indent mangles and working around the
> annotate problems, or fixing code that indent could easily handle (like
> in this case)?
I just go and rearrange the code, with everything which goes along that,
in order to be able to read the code and place comments. Much easier for
me, however I will try to avoid those changes.

> The problem with this is that if each patch has a one-week lag time before
> being commited it'll take way too long.  If you can handle a one-day lagtime,
> then it should be reasonable.  (How many functions are we talking about here,
> anyway?)
I would estimate around 120 functions in the AI code itself (including units
and military code, which is not yet cleaned), another ones in settlers code
(which I would move to ai/ as a whole, anyway :-).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."
     -- Douglas Adams in Mostly Harmless
.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/