[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Fixing movement code

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: Fixing movement code
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:56:03 +0100

> By the way, I think they originally meant to use c, but never got around to
> using it in the formula properly. My best guess is going to come in
> amortise-who knows if it will work.diff. There is a lot of stuff in the ai
> like that.
I'm looking forward on that.

> Goals for cleanup:
My TODO has some too - http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/dev/freeciv/TODO

I've set up my private CVS for cleaning up the AI. Yesterday evening i finished
cleaning up advdomestic.c (that TERRIBLE ai_eval_buildings()), I will test it
on some autogames and then feed patches here. Maybe I will also setup cvsweb
for it for interested ppl ;-).

> 1) Get rid of all hardcoded no's like 6 * 12 for threshold, 0 for railroad
> move
> costs, and fix the code so that it does not assume magical nos.
> (I'm mostly done, aicleanupv3.diff is coming soon)
Yeah!

> 2) Comment these mysterious functions and get rid of all those variables that
> actually do nothing. Explain the wonders of amortise. Petr, suggest away
> which funcs you find most irritating.
find_something_to_kill()! process_attacker_want()! kill_something_with()! :-)
Other may appear, as I still didn't read all the code.

> 3) Diplomacy? Fix it so that the AI does not always go to war with other
> players.
Nothing to fix, afaik we have to implement it completely. At least I yet didn't
saw any existing code for that. I think I will first try to fix some bugs in my
TODO, to make myself more familiar with making changes into AI.

> 4) Do you find these hardcoded wonder effects a good idea? I think we should
> try to convince people to get rid of B_Colossus etc. There's a patch from the
> AC people which makes generalised AI improvements.
It would be nice, however I don't see how to implement this clearly and there
are more urgent things to do. It's too far away ;-).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies = IPv6, IRC
Real Users hate Real Programmers.
Public PGP key, geekcode and stuff: http://pasky.ji.cz/~pasky/