[Freeciv-Dev] Coding Guideline --- more variants

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Coding Guideline --- more variants
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:55:59 +0000 (GMT)

To better reflect varying opinions of the voters I included another
possible choice in question 7 and added question 9 (very much related to
3).

Shall we set a vague deadline on the voting?  Say this weekend?

================ Cut here.  Fill in blue ink only =====================

/***************
 * 1: init vars
 ***************/

/* A */
int foo1a(struct city *punit)
{
  int x = punit->x;
}

/* B */
int foo1b(struct city *punit)
{
  int x;

  x = punit->x;
}

/**************************
 * 2: empty line after vars
 **************************/

/* A */
int foo2a(void)
{
  int x;
  x = 3;
}

/* B */
int foo2b(void)
{
  int x;

  x = 3;
}

/***********************************
 * 3: comments in code (see also 9:)
 ***********************************/

/* A */
int foo3a(int x)
{
  x = 3;                        /* assign 3 to x */
}

/* B */
int foo3b(int x)
{
  /* assign 3 to x */
  x = 3;
}

/**************************
 * 4: extra {} on iterates
 **************************/
int foo4(struct city *pcity)
{

  /* A */
  unit_list_iterate(pcity->units_supported, punit) {
    kill(punit);
  } unit_list_iterate_end;

  /* B */
  unit_list_iterate(pcity->units_supported, punit)
      kill(punit);
  unit_list_iterate_end;
}

/******************************************
 * 5: unnecessary braces after conditionals
 ******************************************/
int foo5(int x)
{

  /* A */
  if (x == 3) {
    return;
  }

  /* B */
  if (x == 4)
    return;
}

/****************************************************
 * 6: unnecessary braces after conditionals with else
 ****************************************************/
int foo6(int x)
{

  /* A */
  if (x == 3) {
    return 1;
  } else {
    return 0;
  }

  /* B */
  if (x == 4)
    return 1;
  else
    return 0;
}

/****************************
 * 7: merge declaration lines
 ****************************/

/* A */
int foo7a(struct city *pcity)
{
  int total, cost;
  int build = pcity->shield_stock;
}

/* B */
int foo7b(struct city *pcity)
{
  int total, cost, build = pcity->shield_stock;
}

/* C (one line per declaration) */
int foo7a(struct city *pcity)
{
  int total;
  int cost;
  int build = pcity->shield_stock;
}

/*************************
 * 8: double dereferencing
 *************************/

/* A */
int foo8a(struct city *pcity)
{
  struct player *owner = city_owner(pcity);
  struct nation_type *nation = get_nation_by_plr(owner);
}

/* B */
int foo8b(struct city *pcity)
{
  struct player *owner = city_owner(pcity);
  struct nation_type *nation;

  nation = get_nation_by_plr(owner);
}

/*****************************
 * 9: comments in declarations
 *****************************/
int foo9(void)
{

  /* A */
  struct foo {
    int bar;                    /* bar is used for ....
                                 * in ..... way */
    int blah;                   /* blah is used for .... */
  };

  /* B */
  struct foo {
    /* bar is used for ....