[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch

To: Juha Litola <slave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:20:57 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Juha Litola <slave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Here is a patch implementing consistent tech costs.
>
> It moves tech cost functionality to tech_cost in common/tech.c.
> It introduces new game.ruleset variable tech_cost_style.
> 0 is old style, each invention increase cost by game.researchcost.
> 1 means tech costs game.researchcost*(1+numparenttechs) where
>   numparenttechs is number requirement technologies counted recursively
>   Each technology is only counted once.
> 2 is same as 1 but it is additionally multiplied by
>   (numplayers-civswithtech)/numplayers. This is what civ3 does if
>   I have understood correctly.
>
> Gtk-client is also modified to show cost of technology in
> science dialog.
>
> Comments?

1. I thought C++ - style comments are not encouraged
2. You compute numparenttech dynamically.  How about doing it once and
for all and recording it in struct advance?
3. I remember someone mentioning research_leakage variable or something
like this...  I cannot find it but maybe I am not looking well.
4. Will AI understand the new tech costs?

Best,
G.