[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hiding capitals

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hiding capitals
From: Teemu Kurppa <tkurppa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 10:54:19 +0200

martin.mcmahon wrote:

> Hello
>  instead if a complete rename of the town if when u take a town u have > a
> town
> of the same name, would it not be best to add the prefix of New
>  so if u had a town called Freecivton and u took from another player a > town
> called "Freecivton" the one taken would then be called "New > Freecivton".

I thought something like this first. Instead of this I thought about
adding number to end of the city name, like "Paris", "Paris 2", "Paris
3" ...

But there are much much more complexities in this. City names have
certain maximum length, so to make it 100% sure, you had to add extra
field or extra space to city names -> f*cking many new possible bugs
everywhere in client code... Also, one had to make rather complicated
logic how to name city, when you conquer "New Paris".
I.e.
You don't have "Paris", it becomes "Paris"
You have "Paris", but not "New Paris", it stays "New Paris"
You have "Paris" and "New Paris", it becomes "New New Paris" or
something like that.
Now, in worst scenario, city names will become too long to fit allowed
maximum length.

In short, much more problems and bugs. Let's keep it simple. Current
solution just uses functions (city_name_suggestion) that are "proved"
to work.

> you
> could also add if a town is renamed is should go into revolt 1 turn.
> who would like to their town renamed :)

This would be totally new game feature, and doesn't fit very well to
"The Abstract Game of Civilization" where city names are merely labels.

Teemu Kurppa