[Freeciv-Dev] Re: List of new features in Civ3

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: List of new features in Civ3
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:48:27 -0500

Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 04:18:42AM -0500, Mike Jing wrote:

> Governments:
> ============
> -- Anarchy doesn't produce anything (except food), i.e. 100% corruption and
> waste.

        This is not new?  I thought Civ2 did this too.

Perhaps. However, there is no waste in Freeciv, so production is unaffacted there. Moreover, in Freeciv all trade goes into luxury under anarchy, while in Civ3 all commerce is lost, leaving nothing to tax, science, or entertainment.

> Resources:
> ==========
[snip]

        Offhand, I hate this whole idea.
        I haven't played the game yet, though.

You are not the first. And I suspect that playing it would make you hate it even more.

> -- No more farmland.  Instead, railroad food bonus is back, a la Civ1.

        Ick?  I didn't think that worked so very well.

I tend to agree.  I like farmland.  :-)

> -- Units can be upgraded only in cities with barracks.

        Do they then gain Veteran Status?  Or do Barracks have another
role?

Upgrading does not change veteran status. Cities with barracks do produce veteran units, however. And it repairs damaged units in one turn, as in Civ2.

> -- Air and sea units in a city are destroyed when the city is captured.

        They don't defend?!

No they don't. You have to have ground troops. After all, only ground troops can capture cities.

> -- Ranged weapons and warships have bombardment ability.

        This worked badly in SMAC.

If you think that was bad, just wait till you see the cruise missiles and nukes.

        There are other things you don't mention that might have changed.

Certainly.  I said so myself.

        How about Marine troops/disembarking?  How many movement points
does disembarking take?

Disembarking takes all movement points. This may actually make the Marines more useful.

A few other things I have since remembered:

-- No road/rail movement in enemy territory (within their borders).
-- No damage healing in enemy territory unless you have built Battlefield Madicine (a small wonder). -- Ships do not heal at all out of port. Nor do planes on carriers. On the other hand, ships (and ground units too) do not lose movement points due to damage either.

-- Cities (size 6-12) get 2 bonus commerce at city center. Metropolis (size 13+) gets 4 bonus commerce at city center. I have to check if there are production bonuses as well.

-- Building Wealth (Capitalization) is now available at the start, but only gives 1/8 worth of gold from shields, or 1/4 after you discover Economics. -- Similarly, selling buildings returns only a fraction of its original build cost, equally devided between gold and shields. Disbanding units also returns only 1/4 of its cost in shields.

More to come, I'm sure.

Mike