[Freeciv-Dev] Re: check_map_pos update

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: check_map_pos update
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:45:41 +0200

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:59:17AM -0700, Raahul Kumar wrote:

> --- Jason Dorje Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > But the question remains: is the focus hack necessary?  There is other code
> > in find_visible_unit that checks to see if a city is present, and although I
> > don't see how it could affect this situation I think more study should be
> > done.
> >
> > As I said before, I see no ill effects of simply removing the line.  Perhaps
> > we could just comment it out for a while and see if anyone complained?
> >

> Yes, good idea. I am curious about how much freeciv code is understood by
> the current active set of developers. There seem to be a lot of situations
> like the focus hack, particularly in the AI and the gui, where no-one has
> a clear idea of the function of the code.
>
> Maybe a commenting out jehad is necessary. When stuff breaks, that is normally
> a clue to what is really happening.

I have just tested 1.5.3 (it looks like this is the oldest version
available from CVS) and I couldn't see any ill effect of removing the
line there.

So I'm also for removing the offending line. Note: removing and not
commenting it out. We don't want to collect all this stuff in the
code. CVS is for this.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "> WHY?! Isn't it better to put $(shell cat cscope.files) on the list of