[Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI - cleaning (Was: Re: [UPDATE] Corecleanup_08 patch)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: AI - cleaning (Was: Re: [UPDATE] Corecleanup_08 patch)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 18:12:08 +0100 (BST)

 --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 03:32:15AM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > At 05:44 PM 01/10/05 +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> >
> > I really don't see this changing without some major shakeup in the
> way
> > Freeciv maintainers handle things. It needs to move from a despotic
> > "Boss" mode to a state where there is a Magna Carta document or Code
> of
> > Laws that sets out appropriate rules and responsibilities for both
> > submitters *and* maintainers. Trent pointed out a number of
> contributors
> > whose names have been blacklisted and scrubbed from Freeciv, or whose
> > code has been rejected only to reappear a little later in buggy
> mutated
> > form. This is *very* unprofessional, but typical of an immature
> system.
>
> It would be helpful if you can come up with a list of what kind of
> things such a Magna Carta should contain.

yes please

[..]

> > >Please understand me correctly.  If it were up to me, your new
> > >coordinate
> > >system and especially your new coordinate macros would have been in
> > >long
> > >time ago.  Few times I myself actually needed the macros that I saw
> > >in
> > >your patch and that are not in the current code.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Maybe you should have a go at convincing Raimar those you like are
> > useful, so at least a few parts of this logjam get unblocked.
>
> It doesn't matter who submits a patch. A patch has to tackle one
> problem, be bug free and I should think that it improves freeciv. Yes

For my uses (trireme getting lost etc) I need what is called
adjc_iterate2(x0, y0, x, y) in Ross' code, iteration over tiles at
distance 2 from (x0, y0).  Yes, I can iterate over square of radius 2 but
why should I check 9 extra squares?

> === message truncated ===
ah, our emails are getting too big stupid yahoo mail thinks it's just
blab...

anyway, yes I would actually prefer if Ross could provide his
"formatting" changes separately from his changes to code.  That would
make it much easier for me to look at what he's actually changed.

yes, I do want to reformat ai/ directory inside out and believe me
Raimar, it is needed.  The code is messy enough without it being
formatted in a messy way.  As for formatting guidelines, I am not
experienced enough to suggest anything.  If you could suggest something I
would happily follow it.

Best,
G.