[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments in .diff

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Comments in .diff
From: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:28:59 +0100

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Gregory Berkolaiko (gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to add commnets into a .diff file such that the
>> patch command will skip them?  That would be handy.
>
> Everything before the diff itself will be ignored by patch.  You can
> write any comments you like, as long as they don't look like the
> output of diff.

I think the point was that Gregory wanted to be able to insert
comments inside the diff file itself, rather then up front, the idea
being that you want to keep comments near to the stuff that is being
modified.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible.  There is a sort of
tradition for putting comments like "the previous way is wrong" and so
on inside the code, which I think is a bad idea because these comments
are seldom helpful without the appropriate context (ie. the old code).

--
Big Gaute                               http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Put FIVE DOZEN red GIRDLES in each CIRCULAR OPENING!!