[Freeciv-Dev] Re: commandline syntax and semantics (was: Server/ruleset

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: commandline syntax and semantics (was: Server/ruleset unification)
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:08:56 +0200

On 2001-10-02 13:27:50, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
>
> > I think there is great potential for confusion if you do something like
> > the example presented with units.archers.name = "Bowmen" and
> > units.archers suddenly cease to exist... Brrr... :)
>
> But as soon as I add the /rename command to rename players (very useful
> if you pick the wrong name initially) this will already happen in the
> existing interface.  How do you propose to refer to players on the command
> line other than by their name (or a unique prefix of it)?

Well, I think the nation name would be a good choise... I don't
think that you should be able to rename a variable (that's what a player
is here) runtime... I think it can be really confusing and I think
that's a serious problem...

However, I was not thinking about runtime issues really... When you want
to edit "objects" "live" these problems will come up (how would you
refer to a individual unit by your model? it doesn't have it's own
individual name) and I don't think it's worth the effort to try to make
it too smooth... I mean that even if it's not very pretty to edit a
player live by refering to the player id I think it's ok...
The primary purpose as I see it is to edit variables/objects _before_
a game is started... That is, editing classes/templates is more
important than editing objects...

But maybe I missed the start of this discussion and what you really want
is to be able to edit "live" objects?

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)