[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unused field in move_cost_map removed. (PR#965)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unused field in move_cost_map removed. (PR#965)
From: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 05:31:11 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 12:39:32PM +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> I did some experimenting with the returned field of move_cost_map (aka
> warmap),
> http://www.freeciv.org/lxr/source/server/gotohand.h?v=cvs#L38
>
> It's intended use was to indicate to the warmap generator that a location
> has already been processed.  However, by virtue of Dijkstra's algorithm,
> such an occurence is quite rare.  This is probably the reason why it is
> not quite used (although initialised) in the currecnt code.

I looks like I miss something here: returned is malloc'ed, memset'ed
and tested but NEVER set. So the this variable is useless. If you also
come to this conclusion I don't understand why you made test runs?

> I tried following things: check for "returned" disabled (that's current
> code),

Ok.

> check enabled

So what you think is the correct usage of this field?

> and also plain removing all mentions of this
> "returned" field.  The savegames from the runs were identical in all
> cases

> (expected)

You mention above that such "occurence is quite rare".

> . The results of timing the test runs were:

> If I interpret the results correctly (looking at u time), enabling the
> check sometimes gives an improvement;
> removal of the field gives stable although little improvement, it also
> reduces volume of the code and memory used, so I suggest that it should
> be applied to CVS asap.

In its current form it is useless. I also vote for removing. (Mhh this
is the second code construct in server/gotohand.[ch] which has no
effect).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx