[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civclient-gtk font issue (PR#926)

To: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civclient-gtk font issue (PR#926)
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:18:54 -0400

Jules Bean (jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 01:19:44PM -0700, erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > since upgrading to the 1.12.0 client, I am seeing non-printing and symbol
> > glyphs
> > in several of the dialogs.

> I don't really understand this problem, in detail.  (There's a good
> explanation in #109488 of roughly what's going on).  Certainly I only
> suffered from it briefly after I upgraded my X packages to 4.1.0 (and
> not only with freeciv, but also with pan, and galeon): a reboot seemed
> to solve the problems.

There've been a lot of people reporting this type of behavior in Debian
unstable after upgrading to XFree86 4.1.0.  The best advice I can give
(I haven't seen the problem myself) is to restart the X font server and
also the X server itself.

You can use "/etc/init.d/xfs restart" to restart xfs.

If you're logging in with xdm, you may have to kill X with
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (after you end your session), or use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get
to a text console, then type "/etc/init.d/xdm restart".  Similar commands
would apply for people logging in with gdm, kdm, wdm or login.app.

If you use "startx", then just end your X session, then type "starx"
again.

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |