[Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamciv sources online

To: Sebastian Bauer <sebauer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv development <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: teamciv sources online
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:38:14 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Sebastian,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Sebastian Bauer wrote:

> I personaly like the the 6 veteran level system. Are the diffs available?
> Maybe this could somehow displayed directly in the unit graphics. I remind
> in some older turn based games, this is displayed were points are used,
> which are then combined slowly to a star or a cross if the unit is elite. I
> however have no idea how this would affect game balance, we should make this
> then also controlable in a ruleset (units.ruleset)

Glad you like it ... yes, it defenitely shifts affects game balance. We
play with this over several years now and it took us some time to make
sure nothing is overpowered with that ... there are still a few glitches
in it that will be fixed in the next days. Surely it would need to
become a server options if it should be included in the "real" freeciv.
Beside of that, I would have to do the patches again. I have no diffs
yet - since I had to mess with the client/server communication (mainly
unit info now, soon tile info as well) freeciv and teamciv can not
be plaid together. It would be possible to provide this - as already
pointed out - but it would be very time expensive and I see not much
use in it. I maintain teamciv mainly for the fun in our lan games and
also see it as a kind of ... well idea-storage for the freeciv itself.

I will see that I can create some diffs, however I'd like to add
veteran support for diplomats and settlers first. The second requires
a change in the tile structure (and settlers itself), so this wont be
finished until weekend.

Ingo

--

Karl-Ingo Friese