[Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?
From: Neil Stevens <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 03:34:09 -0700

On Tuesday August 07, 2001 11:46, Mika Korhonen wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> >  I was wondering if the FreeCIV developers have though about offering
> > a KDE/QT port to compliment the GTK version? It would be great to have
> > such a port, and that would mean that FreeCIV could also easily offer
> > a QT/Embedded version...
>
> This was suggested some time (a year or two) ago. IIRC the reason not to
> use Qt (and include Qt client) was that it is C++ while Freeciv is plain
> C which is more portable. The main point was the portability.
>
> Yeah, Qt would be the programmer-friendly approach :-) and I guess
> nobody would object if one wrote the Qt client (at least separate,
> outside the official Freeciv).

Well, I was hoping to do one with someone, when I asked about it a while
back.  My partner backed out, though, so the idea died.  I decided the
Freeciv client's too big for me to commit to porting it by myself.

As for C++, C/C++ issues didn't stop a BeOS client from being put into
CVS.  And Qt probably compiles on more compilers and platforms than
Freeciv itself does.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.