[Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:52:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Thue wrote:
> The argument that was brought up against a QT client the last time this
> came up was that it would too much trouble to maintain (more copies of
> client code always adds some initia), and that the KDe users could just
> use the gtk client.

Someone actually did a QT port of the client a while back.  I think it was the
first client port to something other than Xaw, unless you count my port to
Xaw3d.  I don't think they ever actually finished with it.

People bitched about QT not being under the GPL.  You are not allowed to
distribute a GPLed program that requires other closed source software to
compile, unless that software is part of the OS.  For some unknown reason that
seems rather hypocritical to me, microsoft's compilers and libraries, or the
Motif widget library, are part of the OS and ok.  But the "almost" open source
QT was out of the question.

So that and worrying about microprose suing them made whoever did the qt port
give up.  Maybe now that QT is open source ok and RMS has "forgiven" all the
KDE people who ported other people's software to qt without getting permission
first, it would be acceptable to do a Qt port.