Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unsafe assertions. (PR#864)

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Unsafe assertions. (PR#864)
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:02:29 -0400

Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

<snip discussion on assert(normalize_map_pos(&x, &y))>

> In the absence of any further evidence, it seems reasonable to assume
> that the original author actually bothered to have a look at what
> normalize_map_pos() before they decided to use it.  So I think we may
> safely assume the former.

It is reasonable to assume that the programmer knew what
normalize_map_pos does.

It is also reasonalbe to assume that the programmer knew what assert
does.

However, one of these assumptions is wrong.  I see no particular reason
to choose one above the other.

jason