Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Copyright notice

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Copyright notice
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 08:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All of this is clearly too much trouble for a small project like
> Freeciv to bother with.  My recommendation is that we change the
> copyright notices to state "Copyright $GREAT_DANES and others" with
> appropriate dates, and to continue to keep track of the people who
> submit patches.

I agree with all of what Gaute wrote (he is clearly more knowledgeable than I),
but one other point has gotten lost in the exchange here:

As we've recently seen w/ KIllustrator, should anyone decide that Freeciv
violates trademarks or copyrights, the $GREAT_DANES would be the most obvious
targets for fines, etc., and recognition due to them would end up backfiring a
bit..... OTOH, as Gaute writes, I'm not sure how acceptable the overhead of FSF
assignment would be for a small project like Freeciv, and I don't know of other
alternatives....

Arien