Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: headers in po-files

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: headers in po-files
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:42:35 +0200

On Tuesday 26 June 2001 22:15, Egbert Hinzen wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Thue wrote:
> > I might as well ask - is it ok with all maintainers if I commit a
> > technical patch like this? It is very easy to do, rather than having to
> > spread it out. I will of course never touch the actual translations.
>
> IMHO: No!
> Exception: A patch is needed because an .po file crashes the game.
>
> Why? Changes should be done only by people really knowing what they are
> doing: I wouldn't try to change the AI Code just for fun...
>
> Let's speak about the last patches:
>
> (1) Do you really know which ISO every translator uses?
>     I *don't* know. Maybe you know this about all of the CVS' pos,
>     but are all people of a team using the same? I don't think so:
>     At least in "EG-Europe" a lot of people are changing between
>     ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-15.

So we leave the patch on freeciv-dev a few days to give people the time to
comment and correct.

> (2) Do you know about the plural forms of every language?
>     And how to define them?
>     I *don't* know. And: It's an *optional* (gettext manual), very new
>     feature. Noone knows if it may cause any trouble. Using it, is a risk
>     - and freeciv does *not* support it now nor will it do so in the
>     near future. (Before (if) this ability reaches the translators, the
>     programmers have to do a lot of work: Every phrase containing a number
>     has to be changed...)

So we leave the patch on freeciv-dev a few days to give people the time to
comment and correct.
Inserting the plural stuff seemed a harmless thing to do, and will make it
easier to start converting freeciv itself.

Even if the patch had contained mistakes it wouldn't have been too serious;
it should be easy for the translator to fix.
I know I applied both patches pretty quickly after they were posted to
freeciv-dev, but they seemed obvious and harmless. I will leave subsequent
patches longer to give people better chance to comment.

-Thue