Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: engineers (settlers?) do not irrigate/upgrade cities

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: engineers (settlers?) do not irrigate/upgrade cities terrains when in mode auto-settler (PR#814)
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:18:27 +0200

Hello!

At 10:30 25/06/01 +0200, Marco Colombo <marco@xxxxxx> wrote:

>IMHO, it makes sense not to allow tarrain trasformations on city
>tiles. It should be a destructive operation (you should loose also roads
>and irrigation on non-city tiles). But I don't know what the Civ2 rules
>say about that.

Having played extensively Civ2, I remember transforming terrains under city
tiles as matter-of-economic-evolution. Cities fouded over coal-hills that
after reaching late-mature status (too big and starting to starve) needed
those hills transformed to grassland (often with food specials). For me it
was a tiny bit of micromanagement with only a tiny bit of
return-of-investement, but it was handy...

I once played a dirty trick on the AIs by "upgrading" to hills the terrain
under a coastal city of mine where AI Ironclads came by unending streams.

(Rail)roads and irrigation were not lost, rather the other way around. I.e.:
I once transformed *mountains* under a city (no food bonus by irrigation),
and voila, the new hills were irrigated (if memory serves me well here, it
could be that those hills were *not* irrigated and one keystroke was needed
to take care of that)... I'm positive on railroads not destroyed, though.

But it is not a thing I'd trust the autosettlers to perform, so it makes
sense that they don't do it. OTOH, maybe the AI could find it useful to be
able to transform terrain for tactical/economic reasons... Never seen Civ2
AI's doing that, sadly, as it would have been inmensely fun.

By the way, "transforming" swamp to grassland is in fact only "irrigation"
and settlers are able to do it. I've in fact seen Civ2 AI's settlers doing it.

Another thing I remember clearly is that you could not irrigate mountains,
even if that was the only way to get "sweetwater" to some poor ill-placed
plains... I never tried the trick of placing a city over the offending bit
of mountaintop and see if its "automatic sweetwater" helped those situations...

Hope this helps.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.