Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Economy report (PR#806)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Economy report (PR#806)
From: aliaga <aliaga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:33:47 +0200

At 18:52 23/06/01 -0400, "Miguel Farah F." wrote:
>>> Why don't you pay upkeep during anarchy? Is it that way in payciv?
>>
>>I'm against paying during anarchy. In anarchy should be no income (no
>>authority to collect the taxes) and no upkeep (people maintain buildings
>>on their own).
>
>But do they? Buildings like, say, a temple shouldn't be affected, but
>buildings like the police station should suffer the risk of being
>destroyed. Perhaps during anarchy there should be small percentage
>risk of destruction of some buildings.

As a longtime player of Civ2, I've been under anarchy a couple times...

I don't think anarchy affects the way income and upkeep are calculated. If a
city is not revolting during an anarchy period, it gives income.
Income-producing buildings keep functioning, trade routes give cash...

OTOH, upkeep is paid, too. Easy thing to check: Have a revolution when your
cash is about nil. Units shouldn't be affected, as they get an upkeep of
zero (hey, they are revolting, after all), but buildings start a kind of
"death dance" bittersweet to watch: "marketplace in XXXX cannot be upkeep,
solding...", so you gain some coins, and several more cities get their bit
of upkeep. Then you hit zero cash again, and "cathedral in YYYY cannot be
upkeep, solding..." (boy, does that hurt!), and it goes on, and on... It
didn't matter if that particular city was revolting or not (it had a
cathedral, after all!).

By the way, in the "trade report" you could check the total income of your
empire, and it was not automagically zeroed when revolting, even if the
anarchy came by continued revolts while in democratic gov.

Hope this helps.

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.