Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Cleaning up configure.in
From: Jeff Mallatt <jjm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 08:49:43 -0400

At 2001/06/17 08:23 , you wrote:
>On Sunday 17 June 2001 13:18, Thue wrote:

>> > I found the relevant email at last...
>> > (http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-199811/msg00194.html)
>> >
>> > ---
>> > VASC @ IST
>>
>> This one and it's reply seem to be relevant
>> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/autoconf/1999-01/msg00009.html
>>
>> But there are 500 lines of ugly shell/autoconf code in freeciv to do the
>> completely standard thing of detecting X. It must be possible to do it
>> better!
>>
>> -Thue
>
>Compared to the 500 lines for the xaw client this is the code for the gtk
>client :)
>-----------
>    AM_PATH_GTK(1.2.1, gtk_found="yes", gtk_found="", imlib_found="")
>    if test "x$gtk_found" = "xyes"; then
>      AM_PATH_GDK_IMLIB(1.9.2, imlib_found="yes", imlib_found="")
>      if test "x$imlib_found" = "xyes"; then
>        CLIENT_CFLAGS="$GDK_IMLIB_CFLAGS"
>        CLIENT_LIBS="$GDK_IMLIB_LIBS"
>       found_client=yes
>      fi
>    fi
>Ideally the xaw client configure code should be of the same size... I see no
>reason why it shouldn't be possible.
>I have looked around on the web, and I can't seem to find any such macro...

There are many vagaries about detecting X and its many different bahaviors.
 Like David, I'd worry about making changes without really understanding
their ramifications.  Most of the weird stuff is so that it will work on as
many platforms as possible -- just getting it to work on one platform isn't
really sufficient.

jjm