Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Adding engineers to a city

To: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>, Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Adding engineers to a city
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:12:00 +0200

On Monday 21 May 2001 12:54, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it is sometimes possible, and sometimes not,
> to add an engineer to a city. I can't see why.
> Can anybody tell me, please?
>
> Christian

You size of a city you can add to is game.add_to_size_limit, set in
cities.ruleset. This value is 9 currently. In the code to check it checks
whether
   pcity->size <= game.add_to_size_limit
but in the settler code it checks
   pcity->size < game.add_to_size_limit
Which is it in civ 2?

Furthermore you can't add to a city if it does not have enough aquaducts etc.

There are no error messages displayed in the gtk client, as the check is made
by the client alone, but the server will actually give you an error message
if you try.
In general the client has alot of shortcuts disabled in this way; the keys
are just disabled. Perhaps we should give more error messages? How is that
best done with gtk?

-Thue