Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: balancing between powers of sea and land units

To: Tuomas Airaksinen <tuomas.airaksinen@xxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: balancing between powers of sea and land units (PR#767)
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 12:45:54 +0200

On Sunday 06 May 2001 12:12, Tuomas Airaksinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know you may not like this (because it's not following the rules of
> civ2), but we (I and Joona) have found following rule modification
> to balance game in a quite serious way: land units get 1.5x defence vs. sea
> units. This makes the destruction power of boats (like ironclads) smaller
> as we thought it should be. At least you can't rule with smallpox +
> ironclads strategy any more.
>
> This simple patch does this modification.

Without saying anything about the balancing of the units, this is not the way
to do it.
Instead of messing with the combat calculation, why not just change the units
combat values in the ruleset?

If we should change it, I really liked the bombard stuff from
ctp/SMAC/presumably in civ III. It is much more realistic, and balances the
game.

-Thue