Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Draft init_techs patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Draft init_techs patch
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:21:18 -0800 (PST)

Attached is a patch to allow one to define an initial set of
technologies to give by default to every player, as discussed in an
early thread referring to an irrigation technology patch. My plan is to
use the initial technologies feature to allow irrigation, roadbuilding
and mining techs and still preserve backwards compatability. As a plus,
it seems like it would be more like unfreeciv...

This patch is not ready for prime time, and I'm looking for some
comments on it. Problems I have:

1) I'm not sure options is the right name for the ruleset section to
hang this variable
2) I'm not sure that the variable I chose to store the initial techs is
the right one. Perhaps a field in an options struct would be the right
thing (to allow more tech options?)
3) Clients should know about this field: what's the right way to send
clients information about such things? Or do clients not get access to
rulesets? What the Right Way of doing this?
4) I've statically allocated the variable that holds the initial techs.
There are several things wrong with that, not the least of which is
that it is overallocated. I'd rather dynamically allocate when I know
the number of initial techs BUT where do you free such things? Is there
some teardown section where I can be sure dynamically allocated global
vars can be safely freed?

BTW: what's the difference between LOG_DEBUG and LOG_VERBOSE? The -d 3
option to civserver (which is the debug option) doesn't allow me to see
the debuged output when I use LOG_DEBUG?

Arien