Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] worklists??

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] worklists??
From: Mike Kaufman <mkaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:07:26 -0600 (CST)

I posted a patch regarding global worklists about 10 days ago.
I even attached the unzipped code to make checking it easier.

I would really like to see something like this included in cvs, but
as I stated then, there are several issues that need to be sorted out
first. (i.e. I need answers to these before I can finish the patch)

Someone has answers to these: For example, the global worklists are saved
in the savefile. There probably was a reason that this is done. What is
it? Is it important that this happen if the patch is implemented?

Even if you don't care to or can't read the code, at least respond to the
idea of having your global worklists saved in your .civclientrc
file. Would you like to see something like this? Do you hate the
idea? Etc.

I pasted the issues I have below to jog the memory.
If someone wants the patch, I'll repost it.

--mike

--------------
There are several issues with this patch that make it more a proof of
concept and not ready for inclusion:

1. I changed the save_options() from fprintf to secfile_insert_*() is this
a problem?

2. send_saved_worklists() overwrites any global worklists defined in the
savefile making it fairly useless to put any in the savefile (I think)

3. send_saved_worklists() puts packet code in options.c it could probably
be put elsewhere (where?)

4. load_options() has to be called twice to let this code work (the
rulesets have got to be sent first).

    if ((pwl->wlefs[i] <= WEF_END) || (pwl->wlefs[i] >= WEF_LAST) ||
       ((pwl->wlefs[i] == WEF_UNIT) &&
!unit_type_exists(pwl->wlids[i])) ||
       ((pwl->wlefs[i] == WEF_IMPR) &&
!improvement_exists(pwl->wlids[i]))) {

I would have taken load_options() out of the gui code, but for the comment
in the mui code that says that that function needs to be called first.

we could load all the options save for the worklists and then load the
worklists when we call send_saved_worklists(), but then we get spurious
unused entry warnings... solutions?

5. worklist_save() and worklist_load() are [practically] duplicated from
server/savegame.c, they could go somewhere in common/ (maybe worklist.c?)