Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: expert system

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: FreeCiv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: expert system
From: Glenn Taylor <glenn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:01:53 -0500

Cameron Morland wrote:

> La 2001-03-14, Peter Marouelli skribis:
>
> > Are there any plans to use an expert system as AI for freeciv? Has
> > anybody ever thought about that?
>
> I have been considering building an intelligent system, using
> behaviour-based techniques augmented by neural networks. I haven't started
> working on it in any significant way, I hope to start in late May.
>
> This is a situation far beyond the capabilities of an expert system, at
> least if you want the AI to be a threat. (IMHO)

This all depends on how narrowly you define "expert system".

There has been a bit of work out of the University of Michigan in integrating

the Soar cognitive architecture with games, including Quake and a few others.

Soar, a rule-based system, has been applied to expert system tasks, but also
has the capacity to learn.

See http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/soar and
http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/laird/gamesresearch.html

glenn