Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 11:42:53 -0500

Michael Hasselmann <michael.hasselmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
Well, I'm the one who definitely has the solution, and - seeing this
discussion becoming more and more stupid - I ask myself whether you ever really tried it out the patch before pollutiong this mailinglist with any further complaints: My metropolis bonus patch! It is certainly in the meaning of the KISS(S)-principle, but its effects on gameplay is therefore awesome.
In short: It adds 10% (changeable) to trade and production everytime
a city grows. This way a size 12 city with library can easily have up to 100 (!) research points, not mentioning the boost in production.
[snip]

I am afraid this would make large cities way way way way way too powerful. I must confess that I haven't played with this patch, but the exponential growth of the bonus is obviously too supercity friendly. Consider this:

   (1.1)^10 =  2.59
   (1.1)^20 =  6.73
   (1.1)^30 = 17.45

Together with the effect of city improvements, a size 20 city will be extremely powerful. A size 30 city will be an incredible moster! Obviously, it makes the "big gets bigger" problem a thousand times worse. In order to make this remotely reasonable, you have to disallow growing cities by celebration. Otherwise, the game would be over in a hurry. Oh wait, I guess that's exactly what everybody wants, right?

Mike

Mike