Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...

To: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: As if we needed another ics solution...
From: Michael Hasselmann <michael.hasselmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:22:01 +0100

Mike Jing wrote:

> Michael Hasselmann <michael.hasselmann@xxxxxx> wrote:
> [snip]
> >Well, I'm the one who definitely has the solution, and - seeing this
> >discussion becoming more and more stupid - I ask myself whether you ever
> >really tried it out the patch before pollutiong this mailinglist
> >with any further complaints: My metropolis bonus patch! It is certainly in
> >the meaning of the KISS(S)-principle, but its effects on gameplay is
> >therefore awesome.
> >In short: It adds 10% (changeable) to trade and production everytime
> >a city grows. This way a size 12 city with library can easily have up to
> >100 (!) research points, not mentioning the boost in production.
> [snip]
>
> I am afraid this would make large cities way way way way way too powerful.
> I must confess that I haven't played with this patch, but the exponential
> growth of the bonus is obviously too supercity friendly.   Consider this:
>
>     (1.1)^10 =  2.59
>     (1.1)^20 =  6.73
>     (1.1)^30 = 17.45
>
> Together with the effect of city improvements, a size 20 city will be
> extremely powerful.  A size 30 city will be an incredible moster!
> Obviously, it makes the "big gets bigger" problem a thousand times worse.
> In order to make this remotely reasonable, you have to disallow growing
> cities by celebration.  Otherwise, the game would be over in a hurry.  Oh
> wait, I guess that's exactly what everybody wants, right?

As you can easily see in the patch, the formula used is:

+  pcity->shield_prod =
+    pcity->shield_prod * (100 + pcity->size * game.metrobonus) / 100;
+  pcity->trade_prod =
+    pcity->trade_prod * (100 + pcity->size * game.metrobonus) / 100;

So a city with the size of 10, 20 or 29 has a bonus of 100%, 200% or
290%:

    (100 + 10 * 10) / 100 = 2.00
    (100 + 20 * 10) / 100 = 3.00
    (100 + 29 * 10) / 100 = 3.90