Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (Non-)Smallpox server.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (Non-)Smallpox server.
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:55:02 -0500

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

However, marketplaces also eat up production for maintenance.
So it's really expensive.  This means it takes some serious game time.

Actually, they pay for themselves very quickly if you do it right. As for game time, I do concede that this is not for quick games.

[snip]
I suppose learning to cope with the different rules will take away much of the frustration but if at the end of the day the total game time is still longer I don't think it is a feasible option for multiplayer mode.

When I first discovered Freeciv (i.e. before smallpox), I remember playing really long multiplyer games over the weekend. Games under these rules do take longer than smallpox, but 4-5 hours is still quite manageable IMHO.

If doing this is tedious (the first 4 hours of game time being spent with everybody waiting for everybody else battling their own private problems with happiness in their own private little empire) it just isn't worth it. I'm not saying that it is, I'm just saying that having tried it for a couple of games I don't feel up to the challenge.

Fair enough. One man's fun is another man's tedium. Some people actually enjoy building their own private little empire into a superpower over time. And like Tony Stuckey said: "You don't play in a vacuum". There are plenty of oppotunities for intrigue and conflict even during relatively peaceful times. But I guess most people would rather be duking it out with their ironclads and horsemen.

Long Live Smallpox.

Mike