Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Nation Provinces.

To: molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Idea: Nation Provinces.
From: Andrew McGuinness <cogers@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:53:08 -0800 (PST)

I kind of like this idea.  It has the potential that you can turn over a
part of your empire to some sort of AI control, perhaps with a specified
goal, and pay attention to the difficult bits.

I'm not sure about the necessity for excluding the capital - I can think
of one large country that does this, but not any others, and I don't
really see the advantage (in game terms at least).

The data structures for storing frontiers - and algorithms for determining
what squares are within them - are going to be a lot of work, but one that
will definitely pay dividends in all sorts of ways, so I'm fully in
support of this being developed.

--- Martin Olveyra <molv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I want your opinion about
something that I have been thinking and
> beginning to
> work on. The idea comes because, unfailingly, once the game advances
> enough,
> the big number of cities that a player must control increases in a way
> that
> maintainance of them are the most time demanding and bored job.
> Please note that I am not included in the mailing list, so reply this
> message to
> all recipients. Suggestions are welcome.
>
> I agree that if this idea is implemented, the mechanism of the game
> changes
> considerably, but, anyway, the definition of provinces are optional by
> the
> player.
> Moreover, as my main worries are the city maintainance, as I said
> before,
> another possibility for this is to make the definition of provinces a
> client
> side only feature. But the possibilities that I enumerate below are very
> interesting to set aside them.
>
>                       Nation Provinces
>  ---------------------------------------------------
> 1 - Provinces unifies a group of cities. Basically, it is a method that
> reduces the time of maintenance when a nation begins to have a lot of
> cities. However, this also leads to very interesting features.
>
> 2 - Each player can specify (or change in any moment) the frontier of
> a province, and each city enclosed inside this border becomes a part
> of this province, with the condition that just one of them has to have a
> courthouse. That city becomes the capital city of the province.
> Only the capital city of a nation cannot becomes part of a
> province. If the specified border also enclosed this city, the program
> must
> exclude it and its radio automatically, so to assign this few tiles
> to a federal territory (or district).
>
> 3 - In this way, a player is claiming a territory for him/herself. Any
> tile
> that belongs to this territory can be worked, even if doesn't belongs to
> the
> radio of a city.
>
> 4 - Observ that the same group of tiles can be claimed by two or more
> players. This can happen in the real life, so it is a game new feature
> rather than a problem. A tile occuped by a ground military unit can be
> worked only by the player which that unit belongs to. However, if this
> tile
> is part of the radio of a city, the original rules apply. As a
> consecuence,
> in order to securely control a far tile, it must be used the military
> force
> or diplomatic agreements. In the last case, units cannot enter foreign
> territory without the permission of its owner.
>
> 5 - The eventual province client dialog must include the following
> information and actions:
>       a) A list of cities that belongs to the province.
> [...]

=====
Andrew McGuinness                Luton, UK
andrew_mcguinness@xxxxxxxxxxx