Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: City Names Version 8

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: City Names Version 8
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:12 +0000 (WET)

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Erik Sigra wrote:

> Get it at <ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/citynames-7.diff.bz2>.
i guess you meant
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/pub/freeciv/incoming/citynames-8.diff.bz2>.

The code's much nicer now!  I hope you don't mind but i'll butcher it a
bit on the next couple of days.  I'll then post it here for you people to
review :-)

> > * some function & var names could be better.
>
> I asked Stan what thoose names are supposed to mean. Here is the answer I got:
> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2001/msg00038.html>

Heh.  That's wasn't much help but i can manage. :-)

BTW my problem isn't understanding LISP.  I've had a course (AI) where i
had to implement a search program using heuristics made in ANSI Common
LISP.  We used CMUCL as a compiler.

It isn't with compiler/interpreter design either.  Already had two courses
of that.

Some function names *are* really bad IMHO even not counting with old style
LISPisms like car, cdr, elt, etc.

And yes LISP isn't going to die completely anytime soon.  Just like
FORTRAN didn't. *yuck*

LISP is actually nice... if only it had decent compilers (and don't try
convincing me otherwise!  Several AI ppl tried and failed).

Of course you could have some magic LISP compiler i never heard of
before under your hat.

---