Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness

To: Erik Sigra <sigra@xxxxxxx>
Cc: mike_jing@xxxxxxxxx, Mike Jing <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More on (un)happiness
From: Paul Zastoupil <paulz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 09:21:24 -0800

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 04:22:48PM +0100, Erik Sigra wrote:
> onsdagen den 20 december 2000 01:42 skrev Mike Jing:
> > Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Another thing to consider is to modify the growth model of cities so that
> > they can grow bigger faster.  But that's even more of a radical change and
> > has to be carefully evaluated.
> >
> > >For a while I played games with slower research speed
> > >(increased 'researchspeed').  This was very effective
> > >in making the expiring wonders worthwhile (Pyramids,
> > >Great Lib, Lighthouse).  But games took much longer.
> > >
> > >We need settings that speed the game up!
> >
> > I agree.  But the dominance of ICS really makes the game boring, at least
> > to me.  On the other hand, there are people who see nothing wrong with it
> > and are happy with the way things are.  Ideally, ICS should remain a valid
> > strategy without being too overpowering. However, in practice, it is very
> > difficult to find the right balance.  In any case, I think people should at
> > least have a choice as how the game could be set up to favor some
> > strategies over others, and curently there is no way to limit the
> > effectiveness of ICS.
>
> Have you tried to increase the time it takes for settlers to build cities? I
> think that would make ICS less successful. What do you think?

Wow, this could be a good idea.

My idea is to make it so cities with size 1 produce no science, and
cities with size 2 are halved.  This will force people to either run over
their enemies before science becomes an issue, or build larger cities.
The research speed may need to be adjusted so this doesn't slow the game
too much.

--
Paul Zastoupil