[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] New event handling

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [RFC] New event handling
From: Dirk Stoecker <stoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:49:07 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, David Pfitzner wrote:

> > The client will prepare the arguments, retrieve the localized format
> > string and will vsnprintf it. There has to be some va_list magic.
>
> I would suggest not using vsnprintf, but doing it "manually",
> which shouldn't be too hard since there should only by %d and %s
> and %% fields?  Oh, and %$2s or however that goes.

%2$s

> That way you avoid va_list hassles, and can verify everything
> as you go, which otherwise you would have to do anyway before
> calling vsnprintf() (since should not pass untrusted strings
> and args to vsnprintf()).

Yes, we are loosing the compiler checks of format string. I know. Anyway
SAS-C never had them :-)

Doing the va_list magic is much lower work than recreating the parser of
vsnprintf. I know, as I did this for Amiga port and I don't want to redo
this again.

This maybe done, if there are some systems which have serious problems
with the way I will implement the dynamic argument creation. We will see.
I don't expect any problems.

Ciao
|____| _|_ |____| _|_    _|_ |____| I hope AMIGA never ends to make fun!