[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting

To: Anders Wegge Jakobsen <wegge@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Client scripting
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:06:12 +0100

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 10:35:02PM +0100, Anders Wegge Jakobsen wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  Does anybody currently work on some sort of client-side scripting? My
> unhappyness with the limitations of worklists in their current form is
> approaching the threshold for the "DO-something!" (TM) exception to be
> thrown. The starting point I'm looking at now, is a guile interface to
> handle city production. I haven't done any coding yet, but my thoughts
> so far is to iterate over all cities at the start and end of each turn
> and provide the same information as the city dialog. If this turns out
> to be useable, the next logical step would be to handle the units, and
> provide an interface to the "global" properties, ie. government, other
> players, wonders built etc. When finished, this could be the basis for
> clientside AI, but that will probably take quite some time to achieve.

My first attempt at this topic can be found at
<www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~rf13/csai-0.1.tar.gz>. I wouldn't suggest
using the code as a starting point. However the README should give
insight into some of the problems/ideas I had.

I consider better event handling and attributes essential for all
client side ai code. My current efforts are to get those things
coded. The attribute stuff is done but currently without users. The
event handling will be discussed and coded in the near future.

The next step I would take is to programm based on these two basics
some agents. Old server side stuff (auto-explore, auto-settler,...)
and also a new city management agent. Clients for humans should also
benefit from these agents.

>  But, before I start, I just want to check that nobody else is working
> on something similar. In that case, I probably won't start myself, but
> in that case, I would like to join any existing initiatives if needed.

AFAIK there is no real initiative.

        Raimar

P.S.: which program did you used to format your text?

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  What's nice about GUI is that you see what you manipulate.